- Carers Bromley – Professional induction/ information session – couple of places left
- Dementia Awareness Session – Free Learning Opportunity
- Age Concern Bromley’s short IT classes
- Understanding Contracts: the legal implications
- Getting Ready for Independent Examination or Audit
- Financial Controls
- Exciting new dementia project at Bromley MindCare
- Best Practice Workshop series from CVA
- Free training in basic emergency first aid –hours and place to suit you
- FREE HENRY Core Skills Training – for Practitioners working with families with children 0-5 years provided by NHS Bromley
- Cotmandene Community Resource Centre
- Mottingham Community and Learning Shop
- Puzzled by partnerships? Fazed by forums? Looking for leadership training?
Date: Thursday 30 June, 11am-12pm
Venue: Carers Bromley
These sessions are to ensure the professional workforce in the London Borough of Bromley is aware of what we provide by giving you a better understanding of Carers Bromley’s services and how we can help and support carers known to your team/organisation.
If you would like to book yourself onto this session, please email Kathleen Bailey or phone 01689 888961 with your name, your job title, organisation and phone number.
Date: Wednesday 20 July, 1.30 - 3.30pm
Venue: Mottingham Community and Learning Shop, 1-2 Cranley Parade
Understanding dementia and the way it develops is essential for everyone supporting or coming into contact with a person who is living with dementia. Information can relieve stress and improve the quality of life for both the carer and the person with dementia. If you are living or working in the Mottingham area then this session is for you. Refreshments Provided.
For more information or to book your place please call, Christine Gallagher on 020 8249 7291 or email email@example.com
back to top
Annual commemoration ceremony for armed forces at Civic Centre
Date: Monday 20 June
Venue: Civic Centre
Bromley Council will be commemorating members of the armed forces who died in the course of duty. Annual flag raising event will take place at the Civic Centre at 10 am, attended by veterans from the Army, Navy and Royal Air Force. Local MPs, The Mayor, the Leader of the Council and Councillors will join members of the armed forces. There will be prayers and the Bromley Staff Choir will lead the singing of the National Anthem and other music.
If you are interested in what else you can do with your computer then what about the following?
- four week digital photography starts 15th June 2011, 12 noon to 2pm at Age Concern Bromley, Community House Costs – £30
- Short courses – “Your Guide to My Guide” at Age Concern Bromley starts 13th July 2011 at 9.30 am – Free for 3 weeks.
To find out more or to enrol contact Julia Cawthorne, Age Concern Bromley, Community House, South Street, Bromley BR1 1RH, 020 8315 1850, firstname.lastname@example.org – www.acbromley.org.uk
Date: Monday 11 July 10am - 4.30pm
Venue: CVA Resource Centre, 82 London Road, West Croydon CR0 2TB
Cost: NAVCA members £50, Non-members £60
This training day will help you understand the common clauses and the potential pitfalls in public service delivery contracts. You should attend if you:
- work for an organisation that is contracted or subcontracted to deliver public services, or involved in supporting organisations that deliver public services
- find contract agreements are often lengthy, technical and difficult to understand
- want to understand the legal implications of contracts before you sign?
Run in partnership with NAVCA’s Local Commissioning and Procurement Unit, this one-day training has been developed by Michelmores law firm, a leading provider of legal services to charities. The training will be delivered by Shivaji Shiva, Head of Charities and Social Enterprise.
As this is open to the six boroughs across the south London CVS partnership, places are extremely limited, please act now by contacting Rachel Rhodes on 0114 289 3975. Follow this link to the NACVA website to download the information.
Date: Tuesday 12 July 2011
Time: 10.00am – 1.00pm
Venue: CVA, Resource Centre, 82 London Road, Croydon, CR0 2TB
Cost : £35 (members of CVA, LVAC, SCVS, MVSC, CLB)
£50 (other vol orgs in these areas),£60 (other vol orgs)
This Course is aimed at: BASIC LEVEL
- All staff and committee members of voluntary and community groups who are responsible for Year-End Accounts.
- The current Audit thresholds for Charities and Charitable Companies
- The New Rules Introduced by Companies Act 2006
- The differences between Audits and Independent Examinations
- The advantages & disadvantages of each and what choice you have
- How to prepare for examination to make the process as smooth as possible and reduce your costs
- A check-list of what will be required, notes and information to keep
In order to reserve a place, complete the booking form and for further information contact Maroof on 020 8253 7083 or email email@example.com.
Date: Tuesday 19 July
Time: 10am – 1pm
Venue: Community House, South Street, Bromley BR1 1RH
Cost: £25 (members of CLB, CVA, LVAC, SCVS, MVSC)
£40(other vol orgs in these areas), £50 (other vol orgs outside the areas)
Controls are not just about avoiding mistakes and irregularities. This is a vital course for anyone managing a voluntary group, trustees and staff alike. Increasingly funders are looking for groups to have strong financial controls before they approve grant applications.
The course explains exactly what is meant by Financial Controls and how it can be used to make sure an organisation’s financial plans are put into practice.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the main purposes of financial control procedures
- Identify within their organisation:
- Areas of risk
- Current control procedures
- Any control weaknesses, which require attention.
- Design appropriate policies and procedures for their organisation
Sample financial policies will be included in the course pack.
In order to reserve a place, please complete the booking form and for further information call us on 020 8315 1900 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local dementia services provider MindCare introduces a new project to support carers of people with Dementia to improve their knowledge of dementia enabling them to enhance the care and support they offer to their relative.
The project aims to provide a unique opportunity for carers to receive the learning opportunity at home alone or with other relatives, or to come together in a group setting outside the home.
Training at home will be offered primarily to carers looking after a relative at home. The workshops will be open to all carers regardless of where their relative lives.
Carers will benefit from
- Increasing their knowledge and skills
- Increased confidence in their own abilities
- Improved relationship with the person in their care
- Support best suited to their needs.
- An opportunity to meet others in a similar situation
The project will be lead by Bromley Minds Dementia Skills Coach.
For more information please contact Christine Gallagher on 020 82497291 Tuesday – Friday or email email@example.com to top
Business to Business in partnership with CVA is running a series of free taster sessions, with follow up optional workshops and one-to-one advice surgeries based on the current needs of the voluntary and community sector. Whether you are interested in starting your own organisations and you have a competitive start up idea or you would like the most up-to-date advice on tendering and commissioning. The training offered will provide you with the information and tools you need to ensure success in the current economic climate.
- Registering your organisation - Introduction
- Fundraising and finance - Introduction
- Successful Bid Writing, Tendering and Commissioning - Introduction
All taster sessions are free, followed by in-depth workshops costing £75.00 per person. Please contact us on 020 8253 1266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.back to top
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) and the London Ambulance Service (LAS) have teamed-up to provide free training opportunities to those organisations interested in
- basic life support
- how to use a defibrillator with confidence
- and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation
The training is provided to groups of up to 12 at a time and takes place on site, during or out of work hours. Further training in “Train the Trainers” can also be provided to those who attended the initial training sessions or those who are qualified First Aiders. For further information please contact: Henry T. Dom, Community Resuscitation Training and Development Officer, email Henry.email@example.com,phone 07818-587040 or write to: London Ambulance Service, Community Resuscitation 18 – 20 Pocock Street, SE1 0BW.back to top
FREE HENRY Core Skills Training for Practitioners working with families with children 0-5 years provided by NHS Bromley
Bromley training dates for 2011:
Monday - July 4 and 11
Wednesday - August 3 and 10
Venue: Health Improvement Service, Beckenham Clinic, BR3 1DU.
Time: Registration 9 am for 9.15 am start and finish at approximately 4.30 pm
HENRY - ‘Health, Exercise, Nutrition for the Really Young’ is a health promotion programme to enhance practitioners’ knowledge, skills and understanding in five key lifestyle areas:
- Parenting and Relationships
- Healthy Eating
- Healthy Eating Habits
- Being Active
- Emotional Well-Being
Evaluation has shown this two-day training to be of value to practitioners by increasing their confidence to work in partnership with families sensitively and effectively using a strengths based, solution focused approach.
HENRY is a national programme that has been developed by two specialists: Professor Mary Rudolf, Consultant Paediatrician and Professor of Child Health at the University of Leeds and Candida Hunt, a parenting educator, training consultant and author. HENRY is funded by the Department of Health and the Department for Children, Schools and Families. It is cited in several key national policy documents.
For an application form or more information about this training, please contact Linda Roberts at the Health Improvement Service, Tel: 020 8662 6688, email:
An integrated community centre providing opportunities for local people of all ages and walks of life. Visit bromley.gov.uk for the latest programme of courses.
Contact details: Telephone: 020 8402 0123, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 64 Cotmandene Crescent, St Paul's Cray, Bromley BR5 2RG
Opening Times: 9.30am to 1pm, and 2pm to 4pm Monday to Wednesday and Friday. Please note the Centre is closed all day Thursday.
All courses are free; students should be aged over 19. For some courses, priority will be for students who live in BR5 or BR6.back to top
This community driven centre offers learning opportunities and a range of services providing training, help, guidance and support for local people in Mottingham.
Visit bromley.gov.uk for the latest programme of courses including the announcement that The Lewisham Credit Union is expanding its services into Bromley Borough. If you are interested in joining the Credit Union or finding out more about the services, it will offer, you can call in for a chat on a Tuesday or Thursday afternoon.
Contact details: Telephone: 020 8860 1150, e-mail: email@example.com
Address: 1-2 Cranley Parade, Beaconsfield Road, Mottingham SE9 4DZ
Opening Times: 9.15am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday
CLB is running a free tailor-made programme of training to help you understand and get involved in local forums, network, partnership and decision-making. Click here to find out more.back to top