Volunteer News - July 2011
Archivesback to top
To celebrate National Volunteers’ Week again this year, Community Links Bromley hosted the fourth Annual Volunteer Awards Ceremony.
26 volunteers received recognition for the outstanding contribution they have made to the organisations they volunteer for, one of them being Jake who is a PAT dog .( Pets As Therapy). Jake is taken regularly to visit Harris Hospiscare, supporting patients in the day centre.
Awards were also given to volunteers for outstanding service as a Trustee, for recognition of the value of an outstanding Volunteer Manager and for recognition of a volunteer-involving organisation’s positive engagement with volunteers.
We were joined by the Mayor of Bromley, Cllr David McBride who presented the Awards; Paul Elliott, MBE, our guest who spoke about the value of volunteering in sport and the health, wellbeing and social integration benefits; Leslie Marks who presented the Leslie Marks Trustee Award and Bromley Mytime’s Primetime Buddies who entertained us with an audience participation exercise routine and some personal examples of the value of volunteering.
The 2011 Volunteers’ Week award winners were:
- Richard Barnes, Carers Bromley
- Hilary Collings, SSAFA Forces Help
- Emma Harmer, Bromley Mind
- Joyce Cashmore and Jake, Harris Hospiscare
- Ann and Bob Potten, Age Concern Orpington
- Shelagh Collings, Harris Hospiscare
- Anthony Streeter, Bromley Mencap
- Adam Wadey, Bromley Mytime
- Katie Schiavi, CarePlus
- Lauren Pinkerton, Croft Tea Room
- Solange Augustin, JusB
- Faye Holyoake, Hayes School
- Alexandra Lowton, Hayes School
- Becky Jones, Hayes School
- Lucy Wood, Friends of Coney Hall Park
- Pat Mack, FOAL Farm
- Betty Morgan, Harris Hospiscare
- Ronald Smale, SSAFA Forces Help
- Elizabeth Fabian, Refugee Day Centre
- Linda Muller and Toby Bromage, Kent Association for the Blilnd
- Nancy Rowlands, National Osteoporosis Society
- Anthony Clarke, Harris Hospiscare
- Tom Marley, Burgess Autistic Trust
- Steve Spicer, FOAL Farm
- Branwen Austin-Jones, Bromley Mencap – Leslie Marks Trustee Award
- Jenny Connors, FOAL Farm – Volunteer Manager’s Award
- Jenny Batt, Creative Learning Department at Churchill Theatre –Volunteer Involving Organisation Award
Congratulations to our winners and thank you to everyone who nominated. If you follow this link, you can see some of the highlights of the event on our FlickR site.back to top
'An applicant's guide to completing the CRB application form' provides general rules for applicants, from how to record current and previous names and address history through to returning the completed form to the Countersignatory.
The 'Countersignatory's guide to completing the CRB application form' is designed for the organisations that countersign the application. This guide supports the applicant's guidance and provides general rules about checking an applicant's identity, the level of check to apply for and checking and signing the form. This guidance is designed to reduce common errors.
If you discover anything that is missing or not clear in the guidance please let Peter Horner at NAVCA know, so he can pass it on to CRB.
This Forum is an opportunity for individuals who recruit, supervise or manage volunteers
to get together and share information and support with one another.
The next meeting will take place on:
Date: Wednesday 20 July 2011 (change in date due to room availability)
Venue: Volunteer Centre Bromley, Community House, South St, Bromley, BR1 1RH
10.30am – 1.00pm including lunch
This meeting will focus on:
- Making the most of the Volunteer Centre
- Meet the Volunteer Centre team and see behind the scenes
- Investing in Volunteers Quality Assurance
Numbers are limited so please email Hilary Bell, to confirm your place.
MBF network membership is a free new network for anyone interested in the growth and development of mentoring and befriending.
There are three reasons to become a mentoring and befriending network member. You can:
- Share information, network and discuss ideas (including innovation and good practice) with other people interested in mentoring and befriending
- Obtain specialist advice and guidance about mentoring and befriending online and by phone, and access alerts through itse-bulletin and specific website feeds
- Contribute your experience and knowledge to grow the evidence base for mentoring and befriending and shape future practice.